At school, those are the moments when the child gets it. Where something unexpected pops up and a child gets enlightened. They understand a concept. It's awesome and it's fun and it's rewarding.
In my own life, however...it's different. And they seem to be coming to me all the more frequently. Just as I'm about to get a bad attitude about something or lose focus of the bigger picture and try to focus on what I want...here comes that teachable moment. God's showing me a lot. Including holding my tongue and tying my hands.
I tend to be pretty busy...and it's not something that I mind. I have a hard time sitting still if I know that there are things to be done. And I think partly that sometimes I just get caught up in the middle of being busy and almost fall into it like a routine. And that's not exactly a good thing. Today was one of those days.
It was the first day of school...and of kindergarten...and yes, granted, I only had 4 kids, but it was still busy and tiring! Then after work I had the pleasure of spending some quality fellowship time with the people that I love. And in the midst of my running around, I saw this verse: Be still and know that I am God. And something about that verse in that moment just hit me. Be still. I am God. Be still.
It may not be something that I like to do and it may very well be something that God is still working on in me, but I had a teachable moment tonight. And I took some time to do that...and just be still. No cell phone, no radio, no other people. Just me and God. Just sitting and being still. And you know what else? No stress, no negativity, no hurt feelings. Just peace. Sometimes it's good to be still and realize that we don't have to DO everything. I love it and I'll continue to serve because it's where my heart is, but I think this is something we can all be encouraged in: Sometimes we just have to be still and let God take care of things. We have to be still and let Him BE God. It's such a humbling and peacful thing to do.
Try it, just getting alone with God. One on one with no distractions and nothing to do. The cleaning and the work will get done later. Just sit in the majesty of the Lord. Listen to the lake. Marvel at the stars. You'll be surprised at what you can learn doing nothing.
8.25.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment