Why did my fiance leave me to start dating someone else?
Why is it that I couldn't get pregnant and when I finally did, I miscarried?
Why did my father leave us and then find a new family to make happy?
Why did I have to lose my job now when I can't make ends meet?
Why did it have to be my little sister that was kidnapped?
Why was I just diagnosed with a disease that is going to steal years from my life?
All legitamite complaints, to be sure. All serious problems that anyone would be blessed to avoid. All tough questions that God must hear all the time, but I wonder...are we asking the wrong questions? Are we looking for the wrong answers?
I'm reminded of one of my life verses. I don't think I'd say it's my favorite verse, but it's certainly been a life verse for me, as I've gone back to it again and again as I learned how I want to live my life. It's given me courage to get through situations and grow instead of letting unfortunate things (which we usually have no control over whatsoever) take me down so low that I don't know who I am anymore. It's Phillipians 4:6-7.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
We can't strive for understanding. We'll never know exactly why "bad things happen to good people." We'll never know exactly why our parents walked out on us. We'll never know exactly why the babies had to die. We'll never know exactly why the things that don't work out for us come so easily to everyone else. But maybe that's because we're asking the wrong questions. Maybe those aren't the things we need to know. Maybe instead we have to ask for peace.
I know that this isn't my most intellectual blog. I know that there are times that I do much more explaining and go much more in depth about things. But I really think that, though it sounds difficult, or maybe even harsh, it's really just a basic lesson in life. Instead of asking for answers, instead of wasting your life away, waiting on an explanation, we should settle for peace. It sounds too simple to be true, but it is. If you ask for peace instead of understanding and needing to know, you'll wake up one day and realize that all of the "whys" of your life aren't running it. They'll still be there, probably without answers, but you'll somehow be strangely okay with it. And that makes all the difference.
If I could use my life experience to make you understand, I would. Instead, I'll just ask you. Did you ever think that maybe you aren't getting answers because you're asking the wrong questions?
3.20.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment