2.26.2006

Cliffhanger

Have you ever had one of those days when EVERYTHING went wrong? And on top of that, you felt like it was largely your fault? Even if it you know that in reality it wasn't, you can see how you definitely had much to do with the failure? As I've said before, there are 2 things that really bother me to no end and one of those is when something I try to do for good goes wrong and has the opposite effect. That's pretty much how I was feeling about the service this morning. To the average Mosaic attendee, there may have been a few glitches, but mostly a typical service. To the trained eye of the staffer...let's just say there was much to be desired. And it was frustrating. So much so that I couldn't shake the annoyance. And all this over church, mind you.

On Sunday nights we have movie night for every and anyone who wants to come hang out. Tonight we watched Maverick (my pick). It's a generally good movie, but also one that my dad likes and he and my mom just left today after visiting me for the weekend so it was a nice little reminder of family for me.

Well, there's a scene where Brett Maverick (Mel Gibson) and a couple other people are riding in this stagecoach and the driver is all of a sudden dead and the horses are careening out of control through the desert. So Maverick has to try and get up to where the driver is to stop the horses. Of course, this doesn't happen without a hitch and he ends up being dragged through the dirt, passed under the coach and hit with all of the luggage before he can manage to get on top of the coach, move the old man and jump on the bridles up to the front horses just as they are about to run right off the edge of a cliff. Being a movie, they of course stop just short of the edge, though Maverick is thrown from the place he is standing and saves himself from sudden death by catching the edge of the rocks. I'm sitting here, watching the movie, not really thinking about anything at all when Maverick says something to the people who come try to help him. As he's hanging there, he says to them,

"It's all for my benefit. To help me build character, right?"

I almost laughed out loud. Okay, Lord. I get it!! :) This is all for my benefit. The mistakes I make when I'm really only trying to help, the frustrations I feel when things aren't running smoothly, even the attitude that lingers on long after the situation is past...it's all for my benefit. To help me build character. Maybe I'll be able to remember that next time.

And if I don't, you all have permission to throw me off the edge of a cliff.

No comments: