So I'm reading Nehemiah (I know, right, who just sits down to read Nehemiah?? But I'm trying to go back and read books that I don't so much remember, so bear with me...) and an unusual chapter jumped out at me. You know how in the old testament, they really like to list the names of people? Like they honestly expect us to read all of those weird names and not just skim down the list? Well, today for some reason (I think because it was still in paragraph form rather than a list), I didn't skim the names. Let me give you a little background, from what I can gather:There's some business going down while Nehemiah is away working for King Artaxerxes and he gets word from one of his brothers that all of the people in his hometown have been destroyed and the few that remain won't be doing so for much longer. Even better, the wall of Jerusalem (which symbolized strength in that time) was torn down. Nehemiah's all bummed out so he prays and is pretty much just like, "God, remember when you told Moses that you would be with him if he came back to you - even after disobeying your commands? Well, I know I've screwed up and so has my family, but you said that you'd be with us if we loved you and listened to you. So I need some things to happen and let's see if you're listening now." So one day Nehemiah's doing his job of giving out the wine and the King asks him why he's all bummed out. Even though he's afraid, Nehemiah (hoping he can rely on the prayer that he prayed earlier) is like, "Dude, let me give it to you straight. All hail King Art. I hope you reign forever and all that business. But how can you expect me to be all happy when my home and everyone that I know has been wiped out? Can't you please just let me go back to Judah so I can rebuild?...Oh yeah, and since you're gonna let me go, can you also write me some permission slips so that if someone tries to hurt me, I can just give them one and they'll leave me alone? That'd be great. Thanks." So Nehemiah goes back home.
Alright...here is what got me thinking!! Nehemiah goes back and looks things over, blows off some people who tried to discourage him ("The God of Heaven will give us success...") and finds some people to help him. As I was actually reading through all of the names and what they built, it hit me that these people probably had other lives, outside of being wall builders. Yet they still offered their time for the good of people in the future. And God really put the picture of us Mosaicanites in my mind as I was reading it. It's like, when they write about us (and you KNOW that they will!), instead of saying "Uzziel son of Harhaiah, one of the goldsmiths, repaired the next section; and Hananiah, one of the perfume-makers, made repairs next to that..." it'll say "Allyson, the banker, repaired the next section with Joel, the graphic designer, next to her. Down the wall were Whitley, the volunteer coordinator, and JB, one of the stylists, who were rebuilding with Pam and Jessi, the store managers. On the other end of the wall were Tonya, the teacher, and Kelly, the painter, all who were giving of the free time that they don't actually have in order that they might provide a new way to the Lord."
Guys!! Do you see what this means?! WE are the new builders of the wall. WE are the ones who are lucky enough to take time out of our already hectic schedules to put a few stones in place in order to build something that will bring more people into God's kingdom. WE are the ones who will restore the strength to God's people. Lord, you want ME to run around like a mad man, give up the things that I want to do with my day and forever sacrifice sleep just so that you can use me for whatever you want??
Heck yes. I don't know how to express how sincerely excited I am to be giving up so much for your gain, but I am SO signing my name on that list.

6 comments:
wow girl...tremendous insight.
That, my friend, is an INCREDIBLE thought! To be one who lays a single stone in the Kingdom of God is quite possibly the greatest honor attainable! Keep it up girl! :)
and to think that all of us have come from all over the united states, to this one area in charlotte, for such a time as this. so much detail, so much power.
i can't even tell you how right on you are...this was most encouraging...thanks again for sharing...I do believe there are many of us discussing this very concept...and there you go and tie it into scripture...or rather God used you to point it out...thank you for blessing me today! *b
Interesting. I loved the Cliff Notes version, especially having taken OT Survey recently in pursuit of that nebulous "continuing education" concept. LOL
Good thoughts. We just did a servanthood "thing" at our church asking people to step up to support our various ministries. Great response, and now I must set aside my usual cynicism of having worked in church for quite a while and have the faith that people will really come through with their commitments.
P.S. In the spirit of servanthood and missions, is this something you could take to your leadership?
yay for 5,000 paged blogs.
Post a Comment