5.05.2006

Can I Hear You Now?

My life may touch a dozen lives before the day is done.
Leave countless marks of good or ill, e'er sets the evening sun.
This the wish I always wish, the prayer I always pray:
Lord, may my life help other lives it touches by the way.
-John Maxwell


I heard this poem read during a retreat at my old church. It was like 4 years ago. I have no idea what the theme of the weekend was or even what the particular message was. But I remember looking at Matt Wilcoski as he was reading the poem, barely touching on it before he moved on and I think I memorized it in that moment. This poem has kind of become my own secret life's goal, a reminder that always hits my heart. And for some reason, it has come back to me again.

On Wednesday, Naeem was encouraging us to not lose the mission that we're on. Yes, it's incredible the ways that God has blessed His people of Mosaic. Two services and 550 people after only 3 months of holding services?! Faithful tithes that most churches don't see in their first year?! Lots of wonderful volunteers who are ready to give their lives to service?! It is literally UNbelievable all of the stories of things that God is doing within our family. However! What we need to remember is that IT'S NOT ABOUT MOSAIC. It's clearly obvious that we are doing something right because of all of the blessings that have been poured out on us. But here's what I think that "something" is - we have people who are fully devoted to giving their lives wholly over to the Lord and His work. The mission isn't to hold more services or get more families attending Mosaic. We could have 1,000 people and 6 weekly services and still be doing nothing. What we really need to look at are the people who ARE coming. And whether or not they are really living.

This was a really big pride check for me because I was finding it very easy to be proud of myself. I was never "that girl" who brought all kinds of people to church. But here...there are almost a dozen women that I work with - and their families - who now attend Mosaic regularly. Plus other students from school and their families, and it is so encouraging to see on Sunday mornings. I never had the ignorant attitude that it was all about me because God is OBVIOUSLY doing some work in their hearts. This is not something that could EVER happen due to my own efforts. But it was pretty cool look out on Sunday mornings and be like "I invited you, I invited you, I invited you, I invited you..." and know that they were all there because of me. But what I realized while Naeem was talking on Wednesday is this - it doesn't matter. None of that even matters. It does not matter if the ENTIRE staff of Mountain Island started coming to Mosaic through my invite if they're not getting it. What matters is if they are allowing God to reach their hearts.

I'm sitting here listening to him during 1st Wednesday when I look over at a friend of mine (one of these staff members who has not only been coming to Mosaic, but also volunteering) and she is crying through communion. After we were done, she came up to me and almost started crying again. This lead to an almost 2 1/2 hour conversation about God. And she said to me, when I asked her what her first thoughts were, "I just felt the presence of God." Hallelujah!! :) Yes!! Someone is actually getting it. God is getting through.

I had to laugh - as I often do - at God's timing. Right as Naeem was encouraging us and right as I was feeling this need to invest more with the women who who have accepted my invitation and come, He was working on the heart of one of them and revealing Himself to her in that moment. It's not about you, Kristin. It's about God working IN you. John 3:30 is what it's all about: "He must increase, I must decrease." Because when I actually focus and kick my pride out of the way, He does amazing things. And it blows my mind to think of the extent to which He allows me to be a part of it.

My life may touch a dozen lives before the day is done.
Leave countless marks of good or ill, e'er sets the evening sun.
This the wish I always wish, the prayer I always pray:
Lord, may my life help other lives it touches by the way.

And yes, I DID steal this title from Naeem. But you are more than welcome to go hear his original message....here.

No comments: